We are pleased to announce that, as of March 31, 2014, we will belong to a new global airline alliance: oneworld
Below you will find more information about this new alliance and the transition process.
1. What will happen to my TAM Fidelidade points?
The points accrued aboard Star Alliance member airlines registered in the TAM Fidelidade program will remain unchanged and that program will not be subjected to any changes before or after TAM leaves the Star Alliance.
2. What will happen to my TAM Fidelidade category?
Your TAM Fidelidade category will be maintained as per the TAM Fidelidade program rules. Your category will be valid for benefits in an equivalent category from oneworld member airlines in accordance to the category structure in the new alliance. Details about all the benefits to which TAM Fidelidade members are entitled will be announced before the transition.
3. Will the alliance transition result in any change to the TAM Fidelidade program?
The TAM Fidelidade program will not be altered as a result of the alliance change and TAM Fidelidade clients will keep their points before and after TAM exits the Star Alliance.
4. What changes until TAM joins oneworld?
Between the time TAM leaves Star Alliance and joins oneworld nothing will change. You will continue to accrue points and enjoy your Star Alliance benefits exactly as before.
5. How long will I continue accruing points on TAM Fidelidade by flying aboard Star Alliance partners?
You can accrue points on Star Alliance until we exit this alliance on March 30, 2014.
6. Until when will I be able to exchange my TAM Fidelidade points for tickets aboard Star Alliance member airlines?
Until TAM officially exits the Star Alliance on March 30, 2014, TAM clients will continue enjoying the benefits of the alliance as usual.
7. I want to keep my points on Star Alliance. Can I transfer them to other alliance airlines? Until when is this transfer available?
There is no way to transfer points or miles between different loyalty programs. Clients choose where they wish to accrue points at the time of the flight, in compliance with each program’s specific rules.
8. If I exchange my TAM Fidelidade points for a ticket aboard a Star Alliance airline on a flight dated after March 30, 2014, will I be able to travel?
Yes, you will be able to travel. All tickets issued up to March 30, 2014 will be honored according to the regulations applicable to each ticket. However, as of March 31, these passengers will neither earn TAM Fidelidade points by flying with Star Alliance airlines nor will they be able to use that alliance’s benefits, such as VIP lounges.
9. If I buy a ticket aboard a Star Alliance airline before March 30, 2014 for a flight dated after March 30, 2014, will I be able to accrue TAM Fidelidade points?
No, you will not be able to accrue or redeem TAM Fidelidade points on Star Alliance member flights after March 30, 2014.
10. Can TAM clients issue tickets today to fly after the alliance switchover date?
Yes, all tickets issued before the transition will be honored according to the regulations applicable to each ticket.
11. TAM now has a partnership agreement with American Airlines, which is a oneworld member. Does this mean that, from now on, I can earn TAM Fidelidade points when flying aboard other oneworld member airlines as well?
Point accrual aboard oneworld member airlines will only be available starting on the day TAM enters the alliance, which will be March 31, 2014. Loyalty program integration is not contingent on the alliance change and is negotiated separately. LAN and American Airlines are the first oneworld members airlines with which TAM has signed an agreement of this type. Today passengers can already earn points or miles and redeem tickets both on TAM Fidelidade and AAdvantage aboard flights as per the partnership agreement between the two airlines. Similar agreements with other partners will be announced in the future.
12. When can I start earning points on TAM Fidelidade by flying aboard oneworld member airlines?
As of our entry into oneworld on March 31, 2014, you will be able to accrue points on flights aboard any oneworld member airline. Until we leave Star Alliance, TAM Fidelidade clients will continue accruing points and enjoying the benefits offered by Star Alliance member airlines as usual.
13. Until when will I have access to the Star Alliance VIP Lounges and how will this benefit work with oneworld?
All the benefits associated with Star Alliance will remain in effect until March 30, 2014, when TAM disengages from this alliance. Right after that date, TAM passengers will start receiving benefits from oneworld. Those benefits include points or miles redemption in the entire oneworld alliance network and the round-the-world fare, a ticket that allows for stops at various airports. Frequent fliers in the higher categories will also have access to 550 VIP lounges in airports around the world, among other benefits. Details about all the benefits to which TAM Fidelidade members are entitled will be announced before the transition.
14. On what date will TAM leave Star Alliance and join oneworld?
TAM will leave Star Alliance on March 30, 2014, and join oneworld immediately afterward, on March 31, 2014.
15. Will oneworld offer the same benefits TAM clients had with Star Alliance?
TAM will notify its passengers as soon as possible about the benefits available in the new alliance. The points passengers have accrued aboard Star Alliance member airlines and the frequent flyer categories they have reached will all be maintained after the transition, as per the TAM Fidelidade program’s rules.
16. Which airlines are members of oneworld?
At the moment, the following airlines are oneworld members: airberlin, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Royal Jordanian and S7 Airlines, as well as 30 other affiliated Airlines. oneworld is experiencing the largest membership increase in its history. LAN Colombia is joining oneworld on October 1, 2013. On October 30 it’s Qatar Airways’ turn to join the group. It will be the only of the three major Gulf airlines to belong to a global alliance. And in 2014, in addition to TAM Linhas Aéreas, SriLankan Airlines is also scheduled to become a member.
17. After the alliance change, will I be able to issue tickets aboard any oneworld airline?
The ticket issuing process is the same for all oneworld airlines and can be performed with any alliance airline after March 31, 2014.
18. Why did TAM decide to join oneworld?
oneworld has a strong presence in Latin America, the United States and Europe –three of the most popular international destinations for our passengers– as well as in the Asia-Pacific region. In addition, this year, oneworld was voted the best airline alliance in the world by Skytrax, one of the most important airline industry review companies in the world. The alliance has an important connections network, offering flights departing from 950 airports in almost 160 countries, with over 13,000 daily flights, carrying 480 million passengers per year aboard a fleet of over 3,300 aircraft and boasting over 550 VIP lounges in the five continents. With this new alliance we will continue to bring South America closer to the world, and the world closer to South America.
For more information on oneworld visit www.oneworld.com.
19. After the alliance change, what will happen to the codeshare agreements TAM has with airlines that are not oneworld members?
Our partnerships are continuously assessed, regardless of alliance changes, to ensure that they provide our clients and passengers the most value, flight options and benefits. Changes to codeshare agreements with our current partners, as well as new partnerships, will be announced as needed.
20. Will the TAM (Fidelidade) and LAN (LANPASS) loyalty programs change in any way now that the two airlines are part of the same alliance?
Neither TAM’s (Fidelidade) nor LAN’s (LANPASS) loyalty programs will be affected by TAM’s alliance change.
21. What does the LATAM Airlines Group gain by having both of its companies in the same alliance?
By belonging to the same global alliance, the LATAM Airlines Group will be able to offer its passengers and clients the best benefits, connections and products. This change will also result in greater synergy for the LATAM Airlines Group, resulting in a more consistent and effective product selection and flight experience for its passengers.
22. Will TAM Airlines (Paraguay) join oneworld?
Yes. The date for TAM Airlines (our subsidiary in Paraguay) to join oneworld will be announced as soon as possible. At the present time, we are concentrating our efforts on the TAM Linhas Aéreas transition, to ensure it is smooth for our clients.